There are several benefits of commercial rabbit farming in Kenya. The main benefits of rabbit farming business in Kenya are listed below.
- Rabbits are very fast growing animals like broiler chicken. They gain maturity fast and become suitable for slaughtering purpose within 4-5 months.
- Rabbit gestation period is less (generally between 28-31 days) and a doe give birth of kids after every 2 months. Each time one doe can give birth of 2-8 kids.
- Starting rabbit farming in Kenya requires very little capital or investment. Even, you can start rabbit farming business in a well ventilated small space.
- Feeding costs for commercial rabbit farming in Kenya is also very less. You can easily feed your rabbits kitchen wast materials, grasses, plant leaves etc. with their regular commercial feed. This will help you for reducing feeding cost.
- Commercial rabbit farming in Kenya can be great source of income and employment. You can successfully use your family labor for rabbit farming business. Rabbit farming is also very pleasuring and entertaining.
Choosing suitable breeds for commercial rabbit farming in Kenya is most important. The common rabbit breeds used for commercial production in Kenya are California White, Flemish Giant, New Zealand White and some other local cross breeds.
All those breeds are suitable for commercial production according to the environment and climate of Kenya. Choose breeds according to your desired production.
Some important factors to consider which constructing house for commercial rabbit farming in Kenya are described below.
- Depending on the breeds, various breeds vary in their weight. Generally, an adult rabbit weights between 2-7 kg. And for commercial production 1200-1500 squire centimeter clean space is required for 1 kg weight. That means 80cm * 80cm space is required for a medium sized rabbit.
- Doe needs extra space for proper growth. 80cm * 115cm space is perfect for an adult medium sized doe.
- Keep the kids or young rabbits in a group until they reach 4 months of age. 20-30 young rabbits can be kept in each group.
- Proper ventilation system in the house is very essential. You can cover the walls, doors, roofs of a hutch with chicken wire netting or made up of bamboo or wood placed 20mm apart. This system is suitable for hot tempered areas.
- In cold tempered areas, you can easily make a house with solid wall and roof.
- Make a drain inside the house so that you can easily clean the house.
- Clean the feeding and watering equipment inside the house on a regular basis
Marketing process is most important part of rabbit farming in Kenya. Basically, there are no formal markets for selling rabbit products so far like chickens, goats or fish.
But rabbit meat slaughter houses are coming up due to the high popularity and increasing demands of rabbit meat. Right now you can try the local market, restaurants and supermarkets.
Rabbit meat has a huge demand in China and some other countries. So, if you have sufficient facilities then try to export to foreign countries.
Every business goes with some problems. Don’t fear about marketing your products. Formal markets are not available right now. But the rabbit meat popularity and consuming rate is increasing rapidly. And a suitable market place is coming up soon. So, for earning some extra income, start commercial rabbit farming in Kenya.